[ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Feb 2 16:23:04 UTC 2005

At 8:48 AM -0600 2005-02-02, Kenneth Porter wrote:

>  There's been some discussion on the Fedora-devel list about ways to speed
>  up booting for workstations. One of the things that slows down the boot
>  process is waiting for an initial network time sync. I'd like to solicit
>  opinions on how to organize the interaction between ntpd, the OS, the boot
>  scripts, the network interfaces (which may come and go; think mobile
>  devices), and possible hot-plugged local time sources.

	The problem is that there are many services which really need
proper time sync in order to operate correctly.  You could just turn
off time sync and let these things run freely, or you could find some
way to shift the startup sequence so that only those things that
depend on time sync are started after ntpd, and everything else is
started before.

	But beyond the standard mechanisms to speed up the initialization
process of starting ntpd (e.g., using "iburst" on all the server
configuration lines in your /etc/ntp.conf, etc...), I don't see any
other ways to make this process faster.

	Either you do or do not run ntpd.  Either you do or do not run
those services which depend on good time sync.  I don't see that
there can be any other options.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755