[ntp:questions] Re: How often should server hop happen?

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Feb 2 16:32:07 UTC 2005

"Tom Smith" <smith at cag.lkg.hp.com> wrote in message
news:4200DF67.9090804 at cag.lkg.hp.com...

> David J Taylor wrote:

>> Thanks for that, David.  There are no loss of sync messages, simply
>> "synchronised to <server-ip>" messages.  The reach is usually 377 when I
>> check, and the poll interval 1024.  Network connectivity is normally
>> 100% - I am on a cable modem connection.

> Don't worry about it. It's normal if you have servers of nearly equal
> quality. It's even a Good Thing. It just means that at any given time
> all the stars line up to make one or the other the best choice. Adding
> "prefer" more often than not just has the undesired effect of locking
> you on to a poorer quality, even misbehaving, server.

    I don't think it's a good thing, nor do I think it's normal with servers
of nearly equal quality.

    It's not a good thing because there will inevitably be a jump when you
change servers. The jump will be smoothed over, but medium-term stability
goes down quite a bit when you change servers. It's not normal because the
server you are synched to should look a bit better than other servers that
you are not synched to.

    He's on a cable modem connection. It's hard to imagine that there are
two servers that are so closely matched in quality and also both so high
that they're his first choice.

    DS