[Fwd: Re: [ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging]

Alain alainm at pobox.com
Wed Feb 2 17:09:36 UTC 2005

(Sorry, Kenneth Porter, this messages went to you by mistake :( )

I did it this way:
(I am posting it here so that I can be criticized too :))

In the /etc/init.d/ntpd I added just after "start)"
   ntpdate -bu $(cat /etc/ntp.conf | awk '/^server/ { print $2; exit}')

This forces a fast updade from the same server list as in ntp.conf,
usualy only the internal server(s). Then I don bother to wait NTP to
sync because I know that my time is ok.

Alain