[Fwd: Re: [ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging]

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Feb 2 17:14:22 UTC 2005

At 3:09 PM -0200 2005-02-02, Alain wrote:

>  In the /etc/init.d/ntpd I added just after "start)"
>    ntpdate -bu $(cat /etc/ntp.conf | awk '/^server/ { print $2; exit}')
>
>  This forces a fast updade from the same server list as in ntp.conf,
>  usualy only the internal server(s). Then I don bother to wait NTP to
>  sync because I know that my time is ok.

	Please note that ntpdate is being deprecated for a reason.  It
does *not* give you good time sync.  Moreover, it does not *keep* the
server in good time sync.

	If saving a few extra seconds off your startup time is all that
critical, then you might as well not be running ntpdate or ntpd at
all.  Just set the clock once from your wristwatch and be done with
it.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755