[Fwd: Re: [ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging]

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Feb 2 18:00:43 UTC 2005

On 2005-02-02, Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
> At 3:09 PM -0200 2005-02-02, Alain wrote:
>
>>  In the /etc/init.d/ntpd I added just after "start)"
>>    ntpdate -bu $(cat /etc/ntp.conf | awk '/^server/ { print $2; exit}')
>>
>>  This forces a fast updade from the same server list as in ntp.conf,
>>  usualy only the internal server(s). Then I don bother to wait NTP to
>>  sync because I know that my time is ok.
>
> 	Please note that ntpdate is being deprecated for a reason.  It
> does *not* give you good time sync.  Moreover, it does not *keep* the
> server in good time sync.

A better way to handle the initial clock setting is to start ntpd with
the '-g' option.

This option allows ntpd to ignore its 1000s (~16m) panic threshold when
it sets the time at startup. The time is slewed if the offset is less
than the step threshold, which is 128 ms by default, and stepped if
above the threshold.

If you use 'iburst' on your server lines ntpd will usually sync in
~15-30 seconds after startup.