[ntp:questions] Re: How often should server hop happen?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Feb 3 02:25:17 UTC 2005

David,

The clock select algorithm has a hysteresis variable for each
association. It is charged up when the association is first selected and
dissapates slowly after that. The clustering algorithm uses that as a
bias to discourage, but not prevent, clockhopping. However, if there are
multiplie sources all with similar jitter and dispersion, it makes
little difference which one is selected, even if a clockhop does occur.

When NTP was in its teens, expected jitter was in the milliseconds, but
now is in the microseconds. The clock mitigation algorithms have become
really picky in order to work well in the fastest computers and
networks. So, it doesn't take much flutter, if that word applies, to
cause clockhopping when trimming the microseconds on the fastest
networks. But, in those cases, the hop does not degrade accuracy, so why
bother about it? And, in a very real sense, it is not the system peer
that determines the offset, but a weighted average of all cluster
survivors. Even with a hop the average doesn't change much.

For that matter, why report a clockhop to the log in the first place? If
you are worried about the health of the server ensemble, what you should
report is when a server drifts in and out of the correctness interval,
since that is usually the cause of a clockhop.

Dave