[ntp:questions] ACTS - too many recvbufs allocated (40) (Correct the Version of ntp-dev)

Daniel AEBY daniel at aeby.net
Thu Feb 3 10:24:42 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am searching on the news Group a solution about this Problem.

This Situation was described about 2 month on this forums, but i do not find
any solution.

I have the same Problem on my Fedora Core 3 Linux distribution with our TDS.
I must changed the ntp server with a new distribution but it seems not to be
trial.

I am working with the stable relase from ntp : ntp-stable-4.2.0a-20040617
and the linux kernel is 2.6.9-1.667smp

With the solution from Giuseppe,  I have change the MODEM Setting in
refclock_acts.c &C1->&C0 and i compile it new
I started the ntpd with -d and i see the following situation
Now the ntp server is calling the TDS Modem for 20 seconds and NO Carrier.
The server is calling now the TDS Modem any more and all the time.

Whitout the change, i see the following
addto_syslog: too many recvbufs allocated (40)
addto_syslog: too many recvbufs allocated (40)
addto_syslog: too many recvbufs allocated (40)
addto_syslog: ntpd exiting on signal 2

I have with the older Version from ntp on a older redhat distribution and i
used the setserial with low_latency for the /dev/ttyS0. With this change,
the jitter is very low :-))
On this new distribution, the server HALT !!!! Proliant DL380 I must remove
the AC Power Supply

I have see on ntp.org, the calling of IOCTL on RedHat Distribution have a
Problem and will be fixed on the release 4.2.0-7 from ntp. With
4.2.0a-20040617, I hope this is ok

This Night, with BitKeeper, I have downloaded the last ntp-dev and
ntp-stable Relase on my linux Server at home. (Not possible at work office)

bk clone bk://www.ntp.org/home/bk/ntp-dev ntp-dev
cd ntp-dev
bk -r edit
autoreconf -f -I
./configure --enable-PTBACTS
make

With this version i must link the device file /dev/ttyS0 on /dev/acts1.
With the stable version, i must link it to /dev/ptb1

ntpq> pe
jitter
==
 ACTS_PTB(1)     .UTCH.           0 l    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00
 metasdns01.meta 131.102.116.173  2 u   52   64    1    0.600  -1498.3
0.004
ntpq> v
ntpq 4.2.0a at 1.1317-o Thu Feb 3 09:09:34 UTC 2005 (1)

Have you any more information about this Problem. I will good appreciate any
tips.

In Advanced, many thanks for your Help and your time !

73
Daniel Aeby

metas
Office fédéral de métrologie et d'accréditation
Lindenweg 50, CH-3003 Bern-Wabern
Tél direct  +41 31 32 33 206, Fax +41 31 32 33 210
<mailto:daniel.aeby at metas.ch>, http://www.metas.ch