Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20050203T084920 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Thu Feb 3 17:23:57 UTC 2005

Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
> 	If you want to make that delay shorter, I guess you could
> package Stratum 1 refclocks with every machine.

I'd be waiting for minutes if I waited till ntpd decided it had a
"good enough" estimate of the Motorola Oncore's time.  Ntpd *could*
have its first time estimate accurate to well under 1ms in half a
second on average.  The problem is, it won't tell you the time or step
the system clock until it filters the crap out of the refclock signal.

Ntpd has a hard act to follow.  The old ntpdate program was a near
ideal solution from the perspective of booting.  It did its job
quickly and got off the pot.

-wolfgang
     Hate software patents?  Sign here: http://thankpoland.info/