Roman Mäder newsXXA.10.rmaeder at spamgourmet.com
Thu Feb 3 18:33:16 UTC 2005

> Precisely. The decent drift file is a problem. It sometimes doesn't
> exist after a large initial offset has been turned over to ntpd.
> Now, if ntpd all by itself did a quick acquisition, didn't
> count that initial clock setting in any way into the frequency
> correction, and blocked the startup script progress until that
> was complete and it was safe to proceed with starting the
> time-sensitive stuff, all would be well with the world.
> If I've missed how that happens, I apologize.

I always wondered why ntpd would throw a valuable drift value out the window
when it encounters an offset at startup, and would try to explain the
offset with a ridiculous frequency error of +- 500ppm and take forever to
settle, rather than correct the initial offset, load the drift value, and
be happy.

Such behaviour would also make the startup scripts easier.

Roman Maeder