Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Feb 3 19:19:12 UTC 2005

At 10:21 AM -0500 2005-02-03, Tom Smith wrote:

>>      With a decent drift file ...
>
>  Precisely. The decent drift file is a problem. It sometimes doesn't
>  exist after a large initial offset has been turned over to ntpd.

	Even without a good drift file, you can still sync very quickly.
It may not be seven seconds, it may be fifteen.  But that should
still be tolerable.

>  You should discuss that with a bank or stock exchange that
>  is losing millions in transactions during those seconds
>  or with public utility that is paying the government
>  penalties for downtime. :-)

	My wife is general counsel, head of legal, and secretary to the
board for the world's largest clearing and settlement firm for
European stocks and bonds, with an annual turnover in excess of 256
trillion Euro last year, and assets under management in excess of
twelve trillion Euros.  Yes, I mean trillion.

	When Argentina decides not to make their interest payments on
their Brady bond debt, because 80% of their bonds are held through
her company, the final decision of whether or not to declare what
used to be the world's seventh largest economy officially bankrupt,
arrives on her desk.

	I understand the scale of the problem.  With over a trillion Euro
of turnover in a single workday, milliseconds do count.

>  Well, no. As David pointed out in his posting, all engineering
>  is a matter of tradeoffs. For many users, the tradeoff needs
>  to be 'Get these applications up fast on a "good enough"
>  time and refine the time (and frequency) in the background.'

	So, doing a single query and taking whatever bogus time may be
set from that server, is more important than waiting a few more
seconds to make sure that you've got a pretty good timesync?

	I'm sorry, I don't buy it.  The bigger the application, the more
you have to lose, the more important it is to have good time sync.

	See above -- milliseconds do count.

>  Perhaps it is. For you. If it's seven seconds.

	For financial applications, if the server goes down, then your
N+M fault-tolerant systems take over that load, and not a single
transaction is dropped or excessively delayed.  If your main server
facility is taken out by terrorists or natural disaster, then your
hot spare facility, that is located hundreds or thousands of miles
away, takes over and a few transactions might be delayed, but nothing
is dropped.

	If you're running something that mission-critical and you don't
have those kinds of systems (which can tolerate a few extra seconds
of startup time in order to ensure that the time is set reasonably
well), then you are shooting yourself in the foot with a
thermonuclear weapon, and you will get what you deserve.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755