Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Feb 4 00:59:00 UTC 2005

At 12:30 AM +0000 2005-02-04, Tom Smith wrote:

>  1) step the clock to a "good enough" time
>        do this within a few seconds
>        block while doing it
>        don't touch/change the pre-computed drift while doing this
>  2) start ntpd
>  3) start time-dependent services

	Thinking about this some more, what I hear you saying is that
ntpd should not background itself until such time as it has
calculated the initial offset and stepped the clock as necessary to
get you within normal slew distance, at which point it backgrounds
itself and continues normal startup operations, starts working on
calculating/updating the drift, etc....

	At least, it should have this as an optional startup mode,
perhaps as a part of "-g".

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755