Tom Smith smith at cag.lkg.hp.com
Fri Feb 4 01:18:14 UTC 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 12:30 AM +0000 2005-02-04, Tom Smith wrote:
>
>>  1) step the clock to a "good enough" time
>>        do this within a few seconds
>>        block while doing it
>>        don't touch/change the pre-computed drift while doing this
>>  2) start ntpd
>>  3) start time-dependent services
>

>     Thinking about this some more, what I hear you saying is that ntpd
> should not background itself until such time as it has calculated the
> initial offset and stepped the clock as necessary to get you within
> normal slew distance, at which point it backgrounds itself and continues
> normal startup operations, starts working on calculating/updating the
> drift, etc....
>
>     At least, it should have this as an optional startup mode, perhaps
> as a part of "-g".

Bingo. And DON'T TOUCH THE DRIFT until the second phase starts.

I'd also say that should always be the startup mode, -g or no -g
(or at least -g should be implied during that first phase, whether
or not it's requested for the "permanent" phase).

-Tom
Tom Smith                       smith at alum.mit.edu,smith at cag.lkg.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard Company                          Tel: +1 (603) 884-6329
110 Spit Brook Road ZKO1-3/H42                   FAX: +1 (603) 884-6484
Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698, USA           Mobile: +1 978 397 3411