[ntp:questions] ntpd and hwclock --adjust

Peter peter at localhost.com
Fri Feb 4 16:38:03 UTC 2005

OS: Gentoo 2004.3
Kernel 2.6.10 CONTIG_RTC Not set
NTP: OpenNTP

In my init scripts, hwclock is run with --adjust. There is an /etc/adjust
file created. I also have ntpd loaded as a daemon.

The hwclock manpage recommended NOT running hwclock with --adjust.
If  your system runs with 11 minute mode on, don't use hwclock --adjust
or hwclock --hctosys.  You'll just make a mess.  It  is  acceptable  to
use a hwclock --hctosys at startup time to get a reasonable System Time
until your system is able to set the  System  Time  from  the  external
source and start 11 minute mode.

However, on looking at my kernel config, I am NOT using the rtc 11 minute
update.

When I run this command:
root at mars /home/peter # hwclock --show && date
Fri Feb  4 11:33:17 2005  -0.256022 seconds
Fri Feb  4 11:33:15 EST 2005

the `date` time is correct exactly when comparing it to www.time.gov.

The startup script uses
myopts = "--localtime"
/sbin/hwclock --adjust ${myopts}
/sbin/hwclock --hctosys ${myopts}

and the shutdown portion just has the --hctosys option again.

Is this something I need to correct, adjust (no pun intended), or is this
setup for a workstation user perfectly acceptable. Hoping to learn...

Thx.