[ntp:questions] Re: Asymmetric lines

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sat Feb 5 02:51:53 UTC 2005

John Pettitt wrote:
> So I'm seeing a 2ms offset on the box itself and about 600ms from the
> outside world.     I probably wouldn't care about this except that the
> offset seems to be stopping ntpd on my S1 from backing off it's poll
> intervals (it's been stuck at 64 for 12 hours).

I think ntpd doesn't back off to more than 64 seconds when it has its
own refclock. I vaguely recall the reasoning behind this had something
to do with detecting a broken refclock faster if the neighbors are
polled more often. I've forced minpoll of external servers to a higher
figure on my startum 1 box because the environment I'm running my server
is not that "time critical" (= home network :-)).

   Tapio