[ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Feb 5 17:28:08 UTC 2005

Kenneth,

The xntpd and early ntpd did not inrease the poll interval for
associations other than the reference clock. It certainly does in recent
versions, as I confirmed just now.

For record, the operative state variable is the clock discipline time
constant, the reciprocal of which is the system poll interval. The
system poll interval normally ramps up to 10 (1024 s) quite quickly when
disciplined by a reference clock and all peer poll intervals normally
follow. For most reference clocks the clock poll interval is clamped to
6 (64 s) for the lowest wander. The system poll interval is on the rv
billboard, while the peer poll interval for each association is on the
rv <id> billboard.

Dave