Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sat Feb 5 21:13:13 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.52.1107569121.583.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org> Brad
Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
>At 8:02 PM +0000 2005-02-04, Per Hedeland wrote:
>
>>  As has been pointed out many times here, there's no need to have a LOCAL
>>  clock configured for that - ntpd will do it anyway. The only reason to
>>  have a LOCAL clock configured is if you need ntpd to serve time to
>>  others in this situation.
>
>	I described the behaviour that I have personally experienced.
>
>	No more, no less.

Not so - the experience you described was that having a LOCAL clock
configured worked well. I don't dispute that, but what you actually
wrote was that this was something that was needed: "you can help make
recovery easier by configuring the LOCAL refclock" and (without LOCAL)
"it most likely won't be good and you will have to restart". Both of
those statements are blatantly incorrect, and the configuration of a
LOCAL clock will often cause serious problems, in particular when the
appropriate "fudge" is omitted.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org