[ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Feb 6 00:57:51 UTC 2005

At 9:02 PM +0000 2005-02-05, Per Hedeland wrote:

>  No, the weaknesses of ntpdate are essentially in your mind

	Okay, so now you're saying that there are no weaknesses?  That is
is the very model of a perfect program?

>                                                             - see my
>  response to Dave Mills in another branch of the thread for what the real
>  problems are,

	Oh?  So there are weaknesses?  Now which part of your story is correct?

>                and try to remember that the next time you have the urge
>  to parrot the party line.

	Maybe you should make sure that you are without sin before you
cast the first stone.

>  I can't say that I've done any extensive research into that beyond
>  noting the obvious and gratuitous mangling of the Subject line, nor do I
>  intend to, but this is what my newsreader (trn - the definition of a
>  threading newsreader) shows when asked to display the tree for this
>  thread:

	Sorry.  You, of all people, are not going to get away with making
such a claim, and then providing totally useless information that you
say is "proof" of your claim.

	If you can read source code, and you can casually hand out public
floggings to people who aren't programmers, I have the right to
expect that you should be able to read headers.  Moreover, you should
be able to provide unequivocal proof of precisely where the problem
is, which programs are affected, and which lines of source code are
at fault.

>  I.e. what should be a simple, single thread with two Subjects has been
>  broken up into three threads with five Subjects, and there are incorrect
>  indications of lots of missing articles.

	I've seen more useful descriptions of broken behaviour from AOL newbies.

	C'mon, even you can do better than this.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755