[ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Feb 6 23:01:37 UTC 2005

At 9:59 PM +0000 2005-02-06, Per Hedeland wrote:

>  I'm writing "wrong" intentionally, because closer examination reveals
>  that this isn't the real problem (in this case at least) - it turns out
>  that *all* messages coming from the mailing list have Message-IDs of the
>  <mailman...questions at lists.ntp.isc.org> form.

	This is not a bug, nor is this "wrong".  This is an intentional
design choice on the part of the Mailman developers, in order to
avoid certain issues that crop up in the process of doing
mail-to-news gatewaying.  See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-January/041907.html>.

>  Sorry, but there hasn't been any advances in that technology - mostly
>  because trn more than a decade ago pushed it to the very edge of what is
>  possible. Recent newsreaders are generally inferior in that respect
>  (unless you consider unconditionally hiding the brokenness of the
>  threads as a feature).

	Right, so lets define trn as the One True Source Of All Possible
Perfection, and anything that doesn't work the precise exact same way
is Obviously Broken -- for All Eternity.

	Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  I think we've heard this refrain before.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755