[ntp:questions] dcf77 receiver makes ntp unstable? (drift and offset get jumpy)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Feb 7 11:13:38 UTC 2005

At 11:23 AM +0100 2005-02-07, Folkert van Heusden wrote:

>  When I switch on my DCF77 receiver, my ntp-server suddenly gets
>very unstable:
>  http://keetweej.vanheusden.com/ntp_graph.png
>  (the blue line indicates start of DCF77 receiver).
>  Running ntpq 4.2.0a at 1.1190-r on a P-III (1GHz) with Linux (2.6.9).

	Which DCF receiver is this?  Is it a Hopf?  If so, they're known
to have some serious problems.

	As for the rest, have you resolved any potential issues with
Linux kernel 2.6 and ACPI and APIC?

	If you have any more information regarding Linux kernel 2.6 and
APIC/ACPI issues, please update section 8.2.3 at
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/KnownOsIssues#Section_8.2.3.>.
I've tried to capture information there from what I've seen on the
mailing lists, but I'm not sure I've done it correctly, or that I've
captured all the currently available information on this matter.  Any
and all corrections are welcome.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755