[ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging

Frederick Bruckman fredb at immanent.net
Tue Feb 8 02:09:24 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.68.1107734826.583.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>,
	Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
> At 9:59 PM +0000 2005-02-06, Per Hedeland wrote:
>
>>  I'm writing "wrong" intentionally, because closer examination reveals
>>  that this isn't the real problem (in this case at least) - it turns out
>>  that *all* messages coming from the mailing list have Message-IDs of the
>>  <mailman...questions at lists.ntp.isc.org> form.
>
> 	This is not a bug, nor is this "wrong".  This is an intentional
> design choice on the part of the Mailman developers, in order to
> avoid certain issues that crop up in the process of doing
> mail-to-news gatewaying.  See
> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-January/041907.html>.

Huh. After reading that message, I'm still left wondering what possible
reason they could have for inserting bogus message ID's into the headers.
(The message only says to look at a comment in the source code, which I
don't have handy.)  Do you know, or can you say, what the actual *reason*
is for doing that?

>>  Sorry, but there hasn't been any advances in that technology - mostly
>>  because trn more than a decade ago pushed it to the very edge of what is
>>  possible. Recent newsreaders are generally inferior in that respect
>>  (unless you consider unconditionally hiding the brokenness of the
>>  threads as a feature).
>
> 	Right, so lets define trn as the One True Source Of All Possible
> Perfection, and anything that doesn't work the precise exact same way
> is Obviously Broken -- for All Eternity.

It breaks threading in "knews", too.

Frederick