[ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Feb 8 09:00:27 UTC 2005

At 8:09 PM -0600 2005-02-07, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>>  	This is not a bug, nor is this "wrong".  This is an intentional
>>  design choice on the part of the Mailman developers, in order to
>>  avoid certain issues that crop up in the process of doing
>>  mail-to-news gatewaying.  See
>>  <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-January/041907.html>.
>
>  Huh. After reading that message, I'm still left wondering what possible
>  reason they could have for inserting bogus message ID's into the headers.
>  (The message only says to look at a comment in the source code, which I
>  don't have handy.)  Do you know, or can you say, what the actual *reason*
>  is for doing that?

	We have some more information at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.059.htp>.
The comment in question is:

     # Note: We need to be sure two messages aren't ever sent to the same list
     # in the same process, since message ids need to be unique.  Further, if
     # messages are crossposted to two Usenet-gated mailing lists, they each
     # need to have unique message ids or the nntpd will only accept one of
     # them.  The solution here is to substitute any existing message-id that
     # isn't ours with one of ours, so we need to parse it to be sure we're not
     # looping.
     #
     # Our Message-ID format is <mailman.secs.pid.listname at hostname>

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755