[ntp:questions] Deprecating ntpdate for Red Hat

Kenneth Porter shiva.blacklist at sewingwitch.com
Tue Feb 8 17:38:28 UTC 2005

I don't see any bugzilla's filed to deprecate ntpdate:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?component=ntp

Anyone care to word one?

Currently the Red Hat initscript /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd will use ntpdate to
set the initial time if the file /etc/ntp/step-tickers (a list of servers
to initially query) is present. (I'm looking at the ntp-4.2.0-7 package
from Fedora Core 2.) Otherwise it falls back to "ntpd -g". I'd suggest that
the presence of step-tickers result in a warning and be ignored. Is there a
better way to do this?