[ntp:questions] Re: Windows Time Service not working - time running too fast.

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Feb 10 12:36:04 UTC 2005

"djwhisky" <james at jimw.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1108030288.395406.89790 at z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

> We have a Win2k server controlling an Active Directory domain who's
> time seems to drift 10-15 minutes too fast a day.
[...]
> It just doesn't seem to synchronise and get the time back on track.

People will shortly begin telling you that Windows Time Service does
not "synchronise" your clock at all. It just steps it and lets it
run as it did. And it steps once a day or once a week or so.

Note that ten minutes per day is nearly 7000 PPM. Standard NTP bugs
out at 500 PPM. People are also going to begin telling you to look
for lost timer interrupts and/or swap motherboards.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink