[ntp:questions] Re: Windows Time Service not working - time running too fast.

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 10 12:57:30 UTC 2005

djwhisky wrote:

>We have a Win2k server controlling an Active Directory domain who's
>time seems to drift 10-15 minutes too fast a day.
>
>No matter what NTP server i set it to by:
>
>net time /setsntp:time.windows.com  etc
>
>then stop and start the server:
>
>net stop w32time
>net start w32time
>
>It just doesn't seem to synchronise and get the time back on track.
>
>I don't think its the hardware firewall blocking the ports because a
>WinXP computer here that hasn't joined the domain is able to sync with
>the time servers fine.
>
>Does anybody have any ideas?

Get your clock fixed.   NTP is limited to correcting a maximum gain or
loss of something like 42 seconds per day.   Your clock exceeds that
limit by an amount that can only be attributed to serious hardware or or
software problems.   Windows 2K is generally much better behaved than
that so I  would look at the hardware first.