[ntp:questions] Good GPS for attic?

Jonathan Sturges nobody at nowhere.com
Fri Feb 11 14:44:28 UTC 2005

Hi,
I'm looking to use a GPS receiver as an inexpensive reference clock for
an xntpd time server.  I'd like to leave the GPS in my attic for
convenience and asthetics.
A while back I bought a Radio Shack DigiTraveller GPS for this purpose.
  It's ideal on almost all counts except that it can't keep a consistent
lock from my attic.  It's close though (maybe if I could mount it above
the insulation that would help).

Can anyone recommend another inexpensive GPS that might be more
sensitive?  I don't want fancy, just plain-jane with a serial port that
can spit out NMEA strings for xntpd.  PPS would also be nice, but I'd be
happy without it too.  (I'm mostly doing this to have a time reference
for household computers, and also just the experience of setting this
up.  Fantastic precision would be nice but certainly not required for
this particular project.)

thanks,
Jonathan