[ntp:questions] Re: Good GPS for attic?

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Fri Feb 11 17:03:06 UTC 2005

Jonathan Sturges wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking to use a GPS receiver as an inexpensive reference clock for
> an xntpd time server.  I'd like to leave the GPS in my attic for
> convenience and asthetics.
> A while back I bought a Radio Shack DigiTraveller GPS for this purpose.
>  It's ideal on almost all counts except that it can't keep a consistent
> lock from my attic.  It's close though (maybe if I could mount it above
> the insulation that would help).
>
> Can anyone recommend another inexpensive GPS that might be more
> sensitive?  I don't want fancy, just plain-jane with a serial port that
> can spit out NMEA strings for xntpd.  PPS would also be nice, but I'd be
> happy without it too.  (I'm mostly doing this to have a time reference
> for household computers, and also just the experience of setting this
> up.  Fantastic precision would be nice but certainly not required for
> this particular project.)
>
> thanks,
> Jonathan

I've not found any GPS to work well indoors - although you might want to
check your isulation doesn't have a foil component to it.  In the end I
went with a GPS18 LVC (the LV model is the only one that has PPS but you
have to solder your own plug).   It's a 5cm black disk that is magnetic
and becasue it's so small I decided to run it outside rather then mess
with tring to get it to work inside.    So far I'm really pleased with it.

John