[ntp:questions] Re: Good GPS for attic?

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Fri Feb 11 18:17:40 UTC 2005

Ivor Jones wrote: >
> Why does it have to be a GPS..? If you only want it for a PC time
> reference, why not use one of the many free ntp servers..?
>
> Ivor

You could ask the same question of anybody with a ham radio - why not
use the phone?  It's not about just getting the service.

On my home net I set up GPS time because I wanted to see how cheaply I
could do it ($350 emachines computer, $85 GPS18 LV, freebsd and about $5
of connectors).   I could have done it for under $120 with a used 486 box.

Now it's working it's part of the pool.ntp.org system of free servers -
(if everybody said "why not use one of the many free ntp servers..?"
there would be no free servers).

John