[ntp:questions] Re: Good GPS for attic?

Joe Stella aaa at aaa.aaa
Sat Feb 12 03:05:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:44:28 -0500, Jonathan Sturges wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm looking to use a GPS receiver as an inexpensive reference clock for
>an xntpd time server.  I'd like to leave the GPS in my attic for
>convenience and asthetics.

A few years ago I purchased a Motorola Oncore UT board from
www.tapr.org for about $130 or so.  They also sold me an interface
board for around $30.  The interface provided a power regulator
and serial port logic for the Oncore.

I did a little soldering, dropped it all into an inexpensive
plastic case, and now I have a stratum-1 NTP server.
It still works today (he says while knocking on wood...)   :-)

Tapr no longer sells the UT but it seems that they still have
some old GT boards.  Another alternative is the Garmin GPS-25,
it looks like tapr still sells the interface board for that.
I almost got that one but I decided on the UT instead.