[ntp:questions] Re: Good GPS for attic?

Joe Stella aaa at aaa.aaa
Sun Feb 13 04:13:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:07:36 +0100, Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote:

>Joe Stella wrote:
>> A few years ago I purchased a Motorola Oncore UT board from
>> www.tapr.org for about $130 or so.  They also sold me an interface
>> board for around $30.  The interface provided a power regulator
>> and serial port logic for the Oncore.
>>
>> I did a little soldering, dropped it all into an inexpensive
>> plastic case, and now I have a stratum-1 NTP server.
>
>Mine is still in a clear plastic bag, taped to the side of a FreeBSD PC.

One of the tapr people told me that it is possible to mount the
board inside the computer in one of the hard drive bays.  You can
also get 5V power from the computer power supply.  Then the only
thing to exit the computer case is the antenna wire and a serial port
cable which you loop directly into the serial port.  You turn on
the computer, place the antenna in a good location, and off you go. :)

I never did it that way though.  Maybe someday...

>I'll look closely at Synergy Systems.

Now that you mention it, I do remember looking at their kits
once before.  That's another good place for the original poster to
look.