[ntp:questions] Re: Good GPS for attic?

Gary S. Idontwantspam at net
Sun Feb 13 16:49:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:19:52 -0800, "David Schwartz"
<davids at webmaster.com> wrote:

>"Chris Malcolm" <cam at holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
>news:cum4vr$mn3$1 at scotsman.ed.ac.uk...
>
>>>    Which of these works everyplace you have a view of the sky and can
>>> keep
>>>time to an accuracy of better than one microsecond?
>
>> While GPRRs have to keep time internally to within several
>> nanoseconds, few of them bother trying to report it to the user with
>
>    If you are purchasing a GPS receiver for timekeeping purposes, you
>should always buy one that's specifically designed (or at least rated) for

>    I'm not suggesting doing this half-assed. I'm suggesting a well-designed
>solution. You can get a GPS receiver that has guaranteed timing
>specifications for less than $300. A low-end FreeBSD or Linux server to do
>the rest can be had for about $350 as well. This solution will give you +/-
>3uS of UTC accuracy 99% of the time.

A friend who is a broadcast engineer for a local TV station had set up
something like this for the station.

It was a special GPS box designed for timesetting application, a 2U
size rackmount, with a serious antenna on the roof. This was
interfaced to supply the official station time throughout the studio
building, the remote transmission facility, and their computer
network. I think they usually display only to 1/100th of a second.

This allows all of their operations to be synchronized, including
another project he worked on, the time displayed on your screen at
home during the newscast. They can also tie in to the network with
accurate timing.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)