[ntp:questions] Synchronisation problems updating to version 4.2.0a on multiple platforms.

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Feb 13 18:01:05 UTC 2005

At 2:11 PM +0100 2005-02-11, Jacobo.Matute at esa.int wrote:

>  We have been using without any problem the ntp 4.1.1 in most of our linux
>  systems (and in some of our solaris and windows systems) to synchronize with
>  two ACOLA NTP servers, that are fed by two GPS Clocks.

	Two upstream time servers is the worst possible configuration for
NTP.  See section 4.3.3. at
<https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers>.

>  Has somebody experience this problem with the new version? Which would be the
>  best way to trace the problem?

	Configure more upstream time servers, at least four, preferably
six or more, and possibly as many as nine.  See all of section 4
(above) and <https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/StartingNTP4>.

	Once you correct those problems, it will be easier to determine
if there's something else going wrong.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755