[ntp:questions] NTP will fail once a week

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Mon Feb 14 23:41:53 UTC 2005

mayer at gis.net wrote:
>>So I would like to strongly suggest that next NTP version read the
>>machine's IP more frequently. FWIK this is not very time consuming for
>>NTPD, is it very difficult to implement?
>>
>>thanks,
>>Alain
>

> Yes it is very difficult to implement. Besides rescanning the interfaces
> you then have to go find the obsoleted associations, remove the old and
> create new ones.
>
> Danny

It would seem that the way to fix this would be restart ntpd when all
non-local clocks have been unavailable for some extended period.  It would be
petty easy to script somthing to run from cron once an hour that checks for
connectivity and then restarts ntpd if the network is up but ntpd is not
seeing any peers.

John