[ntp:questions] Re: NTP will fail once a week

Koos van den Hout koos at cs.uu.nl
Tue Feb 15 12:56:00 UTC 2005

Alain <alainm at pobox.com> wrote:
> Bad news: a major brazilian broad band access provider has come up with
> something new, they chanche the IP once a week, without dropping the
> connection.

That's nothing new. Broadband access providers do this all over the
world. Be a nice web consumer and don't try anything more advanced
without paying for the 'business' or 'hosting' package.

> This is intended probably to avoid home users' hosting. Of course this
> is intended for home use, but it is widely used in small *and* medium
> sized business.

See http://idefix.net/~koos/dyndnshowto/ on my take on how to move your dns
name with your changing IP.

> So I would like to strongly suggest that next NTP version read the
> machine's IP more frequently. FWIK this is not very time consuming for
> NTPD, is it very difficult to implement?

Known issue with ntpd, it seems quite difficult to implement (probably
because there is more to it than just the changed IP).

                                           Koos van den Hout

Koos van den Hout, herding Suns and networks as koos at cs.uu.nl
+31-30-2534104              PGP keyid 0x27513781
http://idefix.net/~koos/            Use PGP when possible!
Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites http://camp-wireless.org/