[ntp:questions] Re: Good GPS for attic?

David Magda dmagda+trace050112 at ee.ryerson.ca
Tue Feb 15 20:38:05 UTC 2005

jimp at specsol-spam-sux.com writes:

> Not to mention it is rapidly becoming the primary means for
> aviation navigation and instrument approaches, all with the
> blessing of the US government.
>
> In the very near future, shutting it off WOULD be chaos for
> aviation.

This was only done because the US assured the people in charge of
international aircraft navigation that they wouldn't turn it
off. (I'm sketchy on details since I was never able to track down a
primary source for this (supposed) fact.)

However, with navigation there is still the backup of intertial
systems. If accurate time is important to someone, they would
probably have a backup atomic clock. There's also WWVB and CHU for
those in North America.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/