[ntp:questions] Re: Good GPS for attic?

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Wed Feb 16 18:52:37 UTC 2005

dold at XReXXGoodX.usenet.us.com wrote:

>The Tivo display is sometimes off by enough to affect the start time of
>scheduled recordings.  Some rumor has it that the Tivo gets its clock from
>the particular transponder being tuned, and that some of them, in turn, get
>time from the station being uploaded, and in the case of local stations,
>the times are not closely monitored.
>
>With the internet, GPS, and ntp servers available, and the tight timing
>necessary to keep distributed processing in synch, it seems silly that
>anything driven by a computer isn't kept at least within a second or two of
>real time.

TiVo gets it's time during it's nightly network connection (you'll see
the first thing it says is "setting clock") - it's actually an http
connection over ppp if you use a modem or your broadband if you have
networked TiVo's.    Most program start errors are related to the TV
station.  Network stations tend to be really good on this as they have
to be to sync all the affiliates, cable stations are abysmal (are you
listening HBO, ShowTime, TNT and  Comedy Central).

There is no excuse for Nextel to be off -Sprint seems pretty good.

I tend to agree with you that no computer device with access to a
network should be off by more than a second.

John (with two S1 time servers at home and wearing a mechanical watch)