[ntp:questions] Re: ACTS - too many recvbufs allocated (40) (Correct the Version of ntp-dev)

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 15:46:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:32:04 +0100, cipo <cseplo_l at netlock.net> wrote:

> When using internal PCI hsf modem, after the first successfully received
> packet the acts: ioctl: input/output error occured, no successfull
> connect anymore. This is resolved by removing
>                 if (ltemp & TIOCM_DSR)
>                         ttyp->c_cflag &= ~CLOCAL;
> lines in ntp_refclock.c/refclock_setup().
> Are these lines necessary?

That's the question I asked a while ago, and I still think it's
a pertinent one.  If not using PPS, as you are not, is there any
reason for turning off CLOCAL?  Do any of the refclock drivers
need to know that carrier has dropped?

Even if PPS is in use, only turn off CLOCAL if necessary, and then
watch out for hangups.  That's the problem reported here for the
SunFire V210 onboard serial port, sudriver: unless and until Sun
produces a new patch, it requires CLOCAL off for PPSAPI PPS to work,
and soft-carrier on to prevent hangups being seen.

> Without them my external modem works fine
> too. Maybe this is the internal modem driver's fault.

Possibly the internal modem asserts DSR, whereas the external
modem does not.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for