[ntp:questions] Re: ntp4 new functionality testing

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Feb 20 16:20:45 UTC 2005

Sajitha,

We support two testbeds here, each including 6-8 systems of various
manufacture on dedicated subnets. We have scripts that build the public
software with several common options - with and without reference
clocks, debugging, cryptographic authentication, etc. The daemon can be
operated in siumulation mode where the basic protocol module and
algorithms are driven by synthetic network jitter and oscillator wander.
We use that and simple test scripts to test convergence and stability in
various scenarios with very large time and frequency errors, for example.

We test things like Manycast, Autokey and selected reference clock
drivers using ad-hoc scripts and local radios, but have no formal test
suite. It would be a good idea to have a comprehensive suite of test
scripts, but there are a great many options and configuration schemes
and not enough time or enthusiasm among the volunteer Corps to construct
scripts for all of them.

Much of the testing, especially recently when folks have pushed the
envelope with unexpected parameter extremes, is prompted by some
complaint or other about behavior the program was not intended or
designed for. It's hard to anticipate such scenarios and design test
scripts for these cases. As you can see, a thorough test suite is a
serious project in its own right.

Dave