[ntp:questions] Re: Ntp-4.1.2: tinker step 0;always slew andkernel time discipline

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Feb 21 05:07:14 UTC 2005

At 06:03 AM 2/19/2005, Brad Knowles wrote:
>At 5:51 AM +0000 2005-02-19, Rod Dorman wrote:
>
>>  In article <mailman.142.1108755705.583.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>,
>>  Nikolaev, Sergey <snikolaev at ebs.com> wrote:
>>>The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. This e-mail is
>
>         [ ... deletia ... ]
>
>>  Isn't this rather silly when sent to a usenet newsgroup.
>
>         We provide a gateway function from e-mail to USENET news, but we
> do not make any attempt to do things like stripping signatures, etc...
> when posting the incoming e-mail messages to the relevant newsgroup.  If
> we started doing that sort of stuff, sooner or later we would
> accidentally munge "real" content of a message, and the result would be
> far worse.
>
>         You're just going to have to accept that, on the modern Internet,
> there are some people who live or work in places where the administrators
> of the system insist on putting all sorts of silly disclaimers at the
> bottom of every message, and that this applies to Internet e-mail as well
> as USENET news messages and all other forms of communication.

Yes, I've been at one of them. You can't get rid of the message. It's usually
put in because someone who is not usually a lawyer decided to order it.
The problem is that if you do that for every message including public
ones they may thereby greatly weaken the original purpose of putting it
there. Any good lawyer would argue that by doing that is equivalent to
putting no disclaimer since you cannot thereby tell if you are sending a
confidential message or one for anyone to read.

Danny