[ntp:questions] no server suitable for synchronization?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Mon Feb 21 12:56:01 UTC 2005

Hello. I am a happy Chinese ntp user running Gentoo Linux with ntp
4.2.0.20040617

Last Chinese year is just fine, the Linux box sync with 0.pool.ntp.org
okay. But 7th this month is the Chinese new year, around that time,
ntpdate(1) no longer works:

sappho ~ # ntpdate -v 2.pool.ntp.org
21 Feb 20:50:06 ntpdate[3078]: ntpdate 4.2.0a at 1.1190-r Tue Dec  7
21:59:12 CST 2004 (1)
21 Feb 20:50:10 ntpdate[3078]: no server suitable for synchronization found
(querying 0.pool.ntp.org and 1.pool.ntp.org fails alike)

Since I noticed nobody else is talking about it on the web, I guess it's
either my ICP or the new great Chinese firewall. Any suggestions?