[ntp:questions] Source Code

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Feb 23 09:43:05 UTC 2005

At 10:02 PM -0600 2005-02-22, Ramanathan Palaniappan wrote:

>     I have installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 on my machine and I find that
>it already
>  runs a version of ntp..but I could not find the source files for the
>  protocol..! Do only the binaries are shipped with the kernel ??

	I'm sure that they ship only the binaries for pretty much
anything that is included out-of-the-box.  If you want source code,
you're going to have to do some extra work.

>  If I would like to install a newer verion of ntp on my machine, how do I
>  get rid of the older one..?

	You could install an updated RPM for your system.  You should see
the Redhat information sources for more information on how to do that.

>  Finally, I am having an old Truetime GPS card(model 560-5500)..Does clock
>  driver no 5 (Truetime generic receivers) will be compatible with the
>  above mentioned one?

	Keep in mind that most RPMs will probably not include source.
Instead, they will be pre-compiled binaries that can be installed on
your machine.  If you want to support a refclock, you'll probably
have to build from source, and even a Source RPM may not give you the
options on how to do that easily.

	You may want to download the source directly from
<https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads> and compile it
yourself.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755