[ntp:questions] Re: does ntp do sntp ?

Helmut Wollmersdorfer.at helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Wed Feb 23 12:06:27 UTC 2005

joao.miguel.ferreira.19740720 at portugalmail.pt wrote:

> I'dd like to know if NTP software is compatible (or someway usable) with SNTP.

Yes.
I run ntp-server 4.2.0a from Debian Sarge in my LAN, and update the
clock of my Cisco831 router with sntp. ntp seems backward compatible
with older versions of the protocol as my Cisco speeks only sntp 1, 2 or 3.

> If not do you know any freesoftware projects that implement SNTP (and NTP)

Most Linux distributions support it "out of the box", i.e. ready to
install packages. E.g. in Debian Sarge just do (as root)

$ apt-get install ntp-refclock (or another ntp* package)
uncomment, edit or check the server entries in /etc/ntp.conf
$ /etc/init.d/ntp-server restart

Helmut Wollmersdorfer