[ntp:questions] NTP with linux kernel 2.6.9 vs. kernel 2.4.24

Goetz Lichtwald lichtwald at tm.uka.de
Mon Jan 17 07:29:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

I got through this mailing list and asked google for several
times and still, I found no answer or hint where to look at.

So, the basic problem is that I have a couple of linux boxes
that need to be synchronized via NTP. Those boxes have all the
very same hardware and configuration.

Running the kernel 2.4.24 NTP works fine. For various reasons
there is the need to run -- at least a few of them -- with
kernel 2.6.9 and here it happens. NTP complains. The Log states:

ntpd[22804]: frequency error -512 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM

Using "adjtimex" does not alleviate the problem at all.  The
kernel 2.6.9 was configured via "make oldconfig" from kernel
2.4.24.

Does anybody has a hint where to look at or even a solution to
the problem. For better debugging, some further facts about the
environment:
ntp 4.2.0a-11
os  Debian Sarge with kernel 2.6.9 resp. 2.4.24

Any help is welcome!

 - goetz
--
Dipl. Inform Goetz Lichtwald