[ntp:questions] ntpd and multimedia timers, Win2K, XP

Greg555 sisadmin at bezeqint.net
Wed Jan 26 21:24:24 UTC 2005

Hello.
We are running our application on quad (8 due to HT) Proliant server
and it uses Windows multimedia timers in order to handle several
timeouts in it. And this usage of timers freaks out the ntpd service.
When the application works - the windows time goes forward with average
of +0.5 sec offset in a minute. That is we have a 30 sec offset after
one hour after ntpd restart. Needless to say, that without ntpd, the
original computer clock performs much better.
When the application doesn't use multimedia timers - the clock is +-4
ms from GPS clock. The system is running on very low CPU usage
(10-15%).
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.