[ntp:questions] Drift file/Log files don't get created

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Jul 16 18:47:23 UTC 2005

derek.flake at bell.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I should start off by saying I'm very new to NTP, so if the
> answer to this seems stupidly obvious to you, it's probably correct.
> Please let me know of any other information you people would find useful
> in helping me out.
>
> I've installed the NTPD on a windows 2003 server (I downloaded the
> installer GUI from the Meinberg site).  The ntp.conf file has the
> following lines:
>
> server x.x.x.x prefer                    #<-- this is the IP of a GPS
> source. It gets recognized by ntpq -p as a Stratum 1
>
> logconfig =all

This is really unnecessary as it does that anyway.

> logfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.log"

Does the account under which the service is running (I assume ntpd) have
write access to this directory? I strongly recommend not using the
Program Files\* directories but a standard C:\NTP direcory for this.

> driftfile "C:\ Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
>
> statsdir "C:\ Program Files\NTP\etc\ntpstats"

The same thing here regarding write permissions. Is there anything in
the event log, which is where messages usually go?

> No files or folders are written anywhere, even after overnight tests.
> Are these commands even supposed to work under a Windows environment?

Did you tell it to generate stats? You need something like the following
(taken from one of our test systems):

driftfile /etc/ntp.drift        # frequency file
statsdir /var/spool/ntpstats/   # directory for statistics files
filegen peerstats file peerstats enable
filegen loopstats file loopstats enable
filegen cryptostats file cryptostats enable
filegen sysstats file sysstats enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats enable

Convert Unix syntax to Windows syntax for directory path.

> Thanks!
>
> PS. I've also got problems involving a large offset but I'd like to
> address these simpler ones first.

You will need to address that. add a -g to the executable line for the
service which will cause it to override large offsets the first time it
needs to correct the clock.

Danny