[ntp:questions] Re: Linux NTP server problems serving time.

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Mon Jul 18 18:13:09 UTC 2005

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net> wrote in message
news:42DBE3C9.3000109 at gis.net...
> Maarten Wiltink wrote:

>> [...] I reacted to your statement that having a single (real) server
>> Will Not Work. I still think it will.

> What works is that it will give you a time, but it is quite likely that
> it will not be the correct time. You may as well use your wristwatch.

We all know that correct is not an absolute. The offset is never 0 ms
from UTC all of the time. The offset distribution that results from using
a single server may be good enough for many. And NTP has benefits beyond
having the correct (to any degree) time.

[...]
>> Summarising, you were right that it wasn't going to work "this way".
>> But "this way" wasn't one server, it was a particularly bad combination
>> of two. Can you describe a situation where having a single server
>> really _doesn't work_, rather than aggravating problems that are simply
>> less pressing with three?
>
> No, it will work, but is there a point? If you can get to one external
> server then the chances are you can get to more and it takes no more
> than a few seconds to set up. ...

Now *there*'s a good point.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink