[ntp:questions] Re: Cannot synchronize to server with local clock

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Tue Jul 19 17:34:47 UTC 2005

Hello Tim,

 On Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 0:12:07 AM +0930, Tim wrote:

>> drivers/driver1.html says:
>>| In this case the stratum should be set at zero
> Just guessing, but is that an instruction about how the software
> should conduct itself in that situation once synchronised, rather than
> being something that you should do yourself?

I don't think so, because in this special case, the system clock is
disciplined by <something>, and ntpd just serves this time to others.
There is no interaction between <something> and ntpd outside of the time
and various variables in the system clock. And AFAICS in ntpd a local
clock driver will never change it's stratum by itself, just take default
5 or what user fudges.

Serge.