[ntp:questions] Re: Setting up meinberg's NTP server on a private network..

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Jul 21 07:26:55 UTC 2005

Hi Eric,

sniff at email.arizona.edu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is my first time setting up a NTP server, so please bare with me.
> :-)
>
> Im working on a private network with about 100 computers, a mix of
> Solaris, AIX, Linux, and Windows.  I use these computers to run tests
> and collect the logs in a central place to examime then latter.  My
> problem is that I want to make sure that all of the timestampes in the
> logs are the same.  I figured NTP was the best solution. :-) This lab
> doesn't have access to the Internet so I can't use a public NTP server.
>  So, I downloaded meinberg's NTP program and want to set it up as a
> server.  Can Meinberg's NTP server be configured to server as a
> timeserver without connecting to a public server?  If so can some one
> point me to a good resouce for writing the NTP.conf file.

First, as Brad has already mentioned in his reply, this is indeed not a
"Meinberg NTP" program. My colleague Heiko has just compiled the standard
NTP sources, and put the binaries into a GUI installer which cares about
copying the program files, creating the NTP service, etc.

If you really have an isolated network and just want to keep all computers
at the same time, just configure the clients to synchronize to the time
server machine, and configure the NTP service on the time server machine to
use its own local clock as reference time source, as described in
http://www.meinberg.de/english/info/ntp.htm#cfg_server_win

even though the local clock is not synchronized by another program in this
case.

Martin
-
Martin Burnicki