[ntp:questions] Re: Newbie: embedded system

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Thu Jun 9 20:15:33 UTC 2005

Miguel Ángel Álvarez Cabanes wrote:
> I would like to add an SNTP / NTP client to it... You know... Just
> adjusting the time of the system once a day or so...
>
> I am cross-compiling NTP 4.2.0 (and facing a lot of problems because it
> requires OpenSSL and so...). Am I doing OK? I mean... is this the
> correct packet to work on for a "simple" application as mine?

It depends on your timing needs. If you need accuracy down to
milliseconds and monotonously increasing time, you will need more
smoother adjustments than possible with a simple application that checks
the time once a day and steps the clock. I.e. you need something like
what ntpd does.

But if your accuracy needs are counted in seconds and it doesn't matter
if the clock is occasionally stepped backwards, you can use a lot
simpler and smaller periodically run application, a bit like what
ntpdate does.

   Tapio