[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd kills ppp/pppoe/DSL

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 06:36:17 UTC 2005

In article <pan.2005.06.15.23.58.03.495303 at vakuum.de>,
"r.u" <ru at vakuum.de> wrote:

> router pppd[419]: Terminating on signal 2.

> # ntpd -n -d -d -d -p /var/run/ntpd.pid

> addto_syslog: ntpd exiting on signal 2

Signal 2 is SIGINTR, i.e. a console interrupt (typically ^C or DEL).
It is not normally issued by ordinary programs, although it can be.
You have started ntpd in an attached mode.  I don't know how you have
started pppd, or what shell you are using.

My guess is that you started pppd in a diagnostic mode, so that it
was still attached to the console, and simply backgrounded it with
&.  You are probably using a non-job control shell, so ^C affects
background jobs (it is issued to a process group, when issued by
the terminal driver).  You then interrupted your attached ntpd with ^C
causing collateral damage to the also attached pppd.

Your best way of running both diagnostically is to run them in separate
consoles.  You can use nohup if it is supported by your configuration.