[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd protocol

Paul.Croome at softwareag.com Paul.Croome at softwareag.com
Thu Jun 23 08:18:25 UTC 2005

koustubh_oasis at indiatimes.com schrieb:
> Hi everybody,
> I am new to this protocol. When i try to synchronise the clocks of
> client with server then client ntpd gets crashed. What should i do? One
> thing more i want to ask is that how should i configure the conf files
> for server as well as client for broadcast mode. So that server
> broadcast the message to all clients.
>
> Please solve the problem as soon as possible.
> Thanks
> Koustubh

Koustubh,

A good place to look for information about configuring NTP is
http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-a-faq.htm.

One reason why NTP can crash soon after start-up is that the difference

between the server's time and the client's time is too large. Make sure
that
the clients' clocks are set to the server's time (within a few minutes)
before you start NTP.

For more information about broadcast mode and its security
implications,
see http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-config-adv.htm#S-CONFIG-ADV-BRDCAST
and http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/assoc.html#broad.

If you want more help from the forum, let us know which reference
clocks you
are using; also post the ntp.conf files.

Paul